Sunday, August 8, 2010

A virtual grab bag

I confess that in recent weeks my interest in blogging has declined in direct proportion to my love of iPhoning.  But, seeking to maintain a healthy balance in all areas of my life, (and finding it difficult to text EVERYTHING that's on my mind), I will attempt to periodically update my blog with my latest thoughts and photos.  (Re-reading that last line makes me cringe a bit.  It pre-supposes that there is an audience for my thoughts.  Oh, well...)

We have just concluded a wonderful visit from Sarah and the boys.  It was very generous of Sean to share his family with us.  I felt the pain of their separation most acutely when Sean called Sarah on Thursday night to ask her how old the sloppy joe filling in the fridge was.  She cautioned him that it was WAY too far past the "use by" date and encouraged him to throw it out without delay.  He told her that he felt like it would be safe if he brought it to a boil before eating it.  I knew then that it was time for Sarah to go home.

For Newton, the boys provided an invigorating interlude in what is normally the quiet, predictable routine of a middle-aged dog.  He loved the chasing and rough and tumble play with Ashton, and he followed Ezra around faithfully, waiting for the scraps of food which inevitably came his way.  Alvie both intrigued and frightened him.  But isn't that the reaction most of us have towards two year olds?  It's the unpredictability...Like when (at midnight) he came down the hallway (after we thought he was sound asleep) dragging two sleeping bags, saying, "Alvie's making a tent."  Good times...

P1040532 P1040531P1040504 P1040513 

Moving on to another topic, I have to say that I am so jealous of Emily's book club!  I have received some great reading recommendation from Emily through them.  They have excellent taste!  The latest is "The Thirteenth Tale," a first time novel by Diane Setterfield. 

The_Thirteenth_Tale_A_Novel-119187353946244I don't usually review books that I haven't finished reading, but  this one is going to be an exception.  I have only read the first four chapters and I can hardly put it down.  This is a book for people who not only love reading, but who also love books; who surround themselves with books.  Who love the feel of a book in their hands, the turn of each page  like opening a little present.   I am a lover of books.  I have bookshelves (filled with books) in every room of my house but the kitchen and bathrooms.  I have resisted the suggestion that I would enjoy owning a Kindle, not because I disapprove of the concept, but because holding a book is part and parcel of the pleasure of reading for me.  For me, the physicality of paper and print shortens the distance between writer and reader in a way that electronics can't.  When I see a book, opened and left face down next to a bed or an easy chair, it speaks volumes to me about  quality of life.  

I would have bought "The Thirteenth Tale" for the first chapter alone.  I am so glad that there are many more chapters to go...

7 comments:

  1. It was great to see Sarah and the boys. Spencer was sad to hear that Ashton had gone home. I think I would like a kindle. With a few exceptions I don't like to hold onto books after I have read them and I think a kindle could save me some money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha - that is funny about boiling the old Sloppy Joe filling! Sean and Sarah's family is incredibly adorable, but then so are all your kids' families!
    Carl, Harry loves his Kindle and takes it everywhere - even on short errands in case he has to wait for something. But Linda, I am more like you - there is something very endearing about physical paper and picking the book up and turning the pages. Do you think if we HAD to use a Kindle we would learn to like it??? :->

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had lots of fun with the Taylors too! And Mom, I think you of all people would want the Kindle so that you could purge all those books on Freecycle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had such a nice visit! Thanks to everyone! It was sooo nice playing with the Reeds and little Simi. I could have stayed longer but it was pretty evident Sean needed us home! I love that my boys will have such good memories of visiting Grandma and Papa. Hope to see more of everyone in the fall, maybe Thanksgiving? LOVE YOU!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the convenience of taking my kindle in my purse wherever I go (in case I get stuck waiting), but, I am another who loves the feel and smell of a "real" book. Whenever possible I like to buy used books because I think older books have a wonderful feel! So...

    Sarah's kids are adorable!

    Loved having Riley and Brooke here for the day yesterday. Brooke and Ellen run a pretty impressive "virtual" kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you read The Hunger Games yet? I give it 5 stars. It is series of three and I the third will be released this month. I haven't ordered your last recommendation yet so now I am really far behind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two thoughts-
    I know about the iphone/blog thing. I know.

    Yay for a new book to try! Will be ordering it shortly- haven't been steered wrong yet. Still waiting for "The Help" from the library- every week I move up the reserve list ladder. Loved the Hunger Games series, too. Anxious for the third to come out. And, because of you, I now read the Hamish Macbeth stories in between my longer reads. They are fast and entertaining. (The Forgotten Garden is probably my favorite though. I think it moved up to spot number one as favorite book.)

    ReplyDelete