Monday, June 7, 2010

I will get to the Tahoe trip, but first some thoughts on obedience and colonoscopies

Sometimes my mind works in circuitous paths.  Try to keep up... 

When I had my follow-up visit with the rather strange, foreign doctor who did my colonoscopy earlier this year (add that to your list of things to look forward to as you age) he complimented me on how clean my colon was.  (I told you he was strange.)  He observed that I must have drunk the entire gallon of stuff that one is directed to drink in preparation for the procedure.   (You don't even want to know what happens almost immediately after you drink it.)  I replied that, of course, I drank it all. ..my instructions SAID to drink it all.  He gave me a pitying look and said, "But no one actually does."

Is there such a thing as being TOO obedient?

I asked myself that question as I walked into the 70s themed party at the Tahoe conference on Friday night.  The invitation said to dress 70s style.  Worrying about what to wear became my personal nightmare for weeks.  I finally put together an outfit that was kind of "Zelda, Queen of the Gypsies Attends Woodstock."  In truth, it was not far off  my usual style.  I walked into the ballroom, full of about 300 people, and immediately realized that I was one of maybe four  in costume.  Here is the conversation that I had with more than one fellow guest:

Other Person..."Wow, you dressed up!  That's great!"

Me..."The invitation said we were supposed to..."

Other Person..."Yeah, but I just ignored it.  You're so obedient!"

Sigh...

Oh well, I believe I redeemed myself the following night.  I can count on one hand the number of special occasions when I have really felt like I nailed it sartorially.  (The 70s party is not on the list.)  I think I looked pretty darn good at the Gala Dinner Dance (cocktail attire, please).  Here is a picture to help you wipe from your memories the image of me as the Gypsy Queen:

P1040251

So my two dress-up occasions cancelled each other out.  Apart from worrying about what to wear (me, not Bill), we had a great time.  On Friday, the weather cancelled our plans for a catamaran tour of the lake because it was raining and the clouds hung so low that the lake became virtually invisible.  So we drove over the mountain to Reno, thirty miles away, to find a watch battery for Bill and have lunch.  Here is what the drive over looked like:

P1040230 P1040229

It doesn't look much like June, does it?  But, in a way that was nothing short of miraculous, the weather became our friend overnight and the next two days were glorious.  The temperature went from 48 degrees on Friday to the low 70s with hardly a cloud in sight:

P1040244 P1040240 P1040241

We stayed in Incline Village (North Lake Tahoe), at the Hyatt, which was very nice in a woodsy-owl sort of way.  I thought you might enjoy a retrospective of the decor and the scenery outside our windows:

In case you are wondering what Bill wore to the 70s party, I refer you to the two photos of him above.  He wore exactly what he wore in the 70s...and the 80s...and the 90s...and last week...

7 comments:

  1. You look beautiful Mom...I'm sure you did on 70's night too. Dad looks very nice in his "uniform" too. So funny! I'm glad you guys had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to see a picture from 70's night, Dad's sense of style is timeless. By the way your hotel makes it look like you stayed at Tahoe Joe's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tahoe looks beautiful and so do you. What a hot grandma you are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with everyone else. What a fun little get away and you both look amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with your girls - you look just beautiful. You are a VERY young looking grandma, too. :->

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look soooo good. I too would love to see a 70's pic! I loved the Tahoe pics and you crack me up! You and Dad inspire me love you tons!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Sean and I once went to a "costume party" dressed as Popeye and Olive Oyl and baby Ashton as Sweet Pea! Even the hosts were not in costume! But we rocked it!

    ReplyDelete